Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"They've Killed Fritz! Those Lousy Stinking Yellow Fairies!"

One of my favorite movies of all time is Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. The imagry, the story, the setting, the animation -- all of it adds up to a film I can watch over and over again. (And I have.) And best of all, it's a decidedly gonzo post-apocalyptic film. The rise of magic versus the evils of Ancient technology. The evil blasted landscape of Scortch against the good magical realm of Montagar. Good stuff here, and lots of fodder for your post-apocalyptic campaigns.

However, in spite of my fandom, I somehow missed the fact that there was a Wizards RPG released back in the '90s! Once I found out, I made it my goal to collect every item released for the game. My full collection completed today is pictured above. The Scortch and Montagar sourcebooks are filled with interesting lands to explore and bizarre mutants and creatures to battle. (Plus several adventure plot hooks as well as fleshed-out adventures!) Anyway, because of the post-apocalyptic setting, just wanted to show it off. I'm reading up on the system now -- point-buy-in based character generation, it seems -- and should be ready to actually run a game or two at Gary Con next March.

(I'd love to try to run a pick-up game at Gen Con next week, but there's no way in Hell I'd be able to learn a new system and hammer together a simple adventure in 7 days -- not when I'm prepping my games already on the docket!)

7 comments:

  1. I have read that James Ward said that Wizards was one of the things that inspired Gamma World. I don't know if that is true, but I will believe it is until he tells me otherwise.
    Great movie. I own a copy of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slick haul. It's always a nice feeling when a collection comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. My Wizards post is one of my most read! http://digitalorc.blogspot.com/2011/02/ralph-bakshis-wizards-movie-and-role.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Do you still have a copy of the Gamemaster's Screen with the Desert Wind mini module?

      Delete
    2. I managed to cobble together all of the books and materials, let me know if you'd be interested in checking them out.

      Delete
  4. It's a very clunky system, when you start to play it, but keep at it. It has a charm all of it's own.

    ReplyDelete