Sunday, October 19, 2014

Con On The Cob Final Day And Wrap-Up: Silent Auction and "Time Bastard"


Well gang, I'm home after the final day of Con on the Cob. Had a great time, sold quite a few things in the booth, and am energized for future convention attendage. Some interesting developments regarding Con on the Cob popped up toward the end of the event you may want to be aware of, so read through to the end:
  • While packing up my room this morning, I realized I nearly forgot the three remaining bottles of beer in the mini-fridge. When I pulled them out, I was surprised that they had frozen! So I left them in the tub to dethaw and also in case they decided to explode. I hope housekeeping enjoys the dethawed brews and/or I'm sorry for the mess I left behind.
  • One of the booth vendors brought his dog today. Nice pooch, but he's a bit overexcited. About once every five minutes there's an ear-shattering BARK that echoes through the hall.
  • Oddly enough, I've been asked twice if I have the new 5e Monster Manual. Both times, I said "No," and the customers shuffled off dejectedly without saying another word.
  • There is apparently a tattoo artist on the premises as I see TATTOO signs tacked up everywhere. But I don't hear anything nor do I see any tattooing going on.
  • The Silent Auction was pretty cool. Folks brought in their rarities, and they placed them on tables throughout one of the rooms. You'd write a bid on the list and, at the end of the time limit, highest written bid got it. Lots of cool stuff available: RPGs like Dallas, Judge Dread, Masters of the Universe, and tons of Hackmaster, C&C, and d20 stuff; many obscure and brand new board games; and collectible books and comics including a laundry basket filled with loose Endless Quest paperbacks. (Interested, but I filled the holes in my collection long ago.) I managed to snag The Challenge, Friday, and Grave Business for less than $20 total.
  • Someone mispronounced "Timemaster" as "Time Bastard" and that just struck me as an incredibly funny farcical concept. "Jerks and dopes lost in time and screwing up history." Might make for a fun one-shot at a future con.
  • CotC's organizer and chief wazoo-polisher Andy Hopp has announced that CotC has outgrown the current location and, next year, the con will be in Days Inn in Richfield. Twice the vendor's hall space! Twice the games! Twice the games, art, freaks, and fun!
  • And twice the Goblinoid Games / Pacesetter as we committed to a second year at CotC as a vendor with a corner booth in the new Vendor's Hall next year!
It goes without saying that I had yet another grandious time at Con on the Cob, and I have made arrangements already to be there as a representative of Goblinoid Games / Pacesetter again. Next year, though, I hope I can get someone to join me in the booth, as it would give me a bit of downtime to both play in a few games as well as run many, many more. (There have been several requests for more Cryptworld and Timemaster games on the games schedule. Your requests have been duly noted.) And stay tuned because, in one month, I'll be doing this all over again at Michigan's U-Con in November.

This is Your Friendly Neighborhood Sniderman, live from Ohio's Con on the Cob, signing off until next year.

Grabbed my B.A. Felton original sketch from KODT's Jolly Blackburn this morning. And upon the gaming room wall it goes!

 The Silent Auction is underway. Folks were darting back and forth placing their bids. Two minutes before cutoff, this room was a LOT more chaotic!

And what I brought home. Getting a complete copy of The Challenge for $5 was a true score.

 And the last gamers finish out the con in lonely solitude as Con on the Cob 2014 comes to a close. See you in Richfield in 2015!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these reports, Tim! Maybe I'll be able to get back up there some day.

    ReplyDelete